Easy Peasy Tuna Pasta

I love to eat.  I try to follow an 80/20 rule with my diet. That means 80% of what goes in is real food (not processed) and relatively healthy, the other 20% is my wine and desserts:). This is sometimes easier to say than do when time is short, so I thought I would try and share the occasional recipe that is simple and quick.  Feel free to share your recipes or links to your favourites as well in the comments, I am always looking for new things to try.

I don’t love seafood but I try to incorporate it in my diet.  This tuna pasta is an example of me squeezing in seafood without it being too “seafoodish” for me.  There are enough other ingredients and flavours to disguise the “fish” taste for me.  As a side note if you are vegetarian you can leave out the tuna and change the pasta to quinoa for a vegetarian dish.

Ingredients :

  • 2 cans flaked tuna (or real tuna cooked and shredded if you are so inclined)
  • 1/2 package of whole grain rotini (I use Kamut grain pasta)
  • coconut oil
  • red onion
  • 1 package of grape tomatoes
  • 1 red pepper
  • cucumber
  • celery
  • avocado
  • goat feta crumbled
  • cumin
  • basil
  • cayenne
  • red wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper

Boil salted water and cook pasta according to al dente instructions.  While the pasta is cooking dice some red onion and heat on low in pan with coconut oil — just enough oil to sauté the veggies.  Halve the tomatoes, chop up the red pepper and some celery and add to the onions and sauté.  Add some salt, pepper, cumin and basil as the veggies heat.

In another bowl add the drained tuna sliced cucumber and sliced avocado.  Once the sautéed veggies and pasta are cooked add them to the bowl.  Add some cayenne, cumin and more pepper to taste.  Add a Tbsp. of red wine vinegar and crumbled feta. Toss and serve.

I can usually throw this meal together in 15 minutes or so.  This makes it a favourite for nights I am home late or in a rush.  It is easy but full of vegetables and delicious warm flavours.  You have probably noticed my lack of measurements, I tend to make these up as I go and adjust the flavours according to taste.  So feel free to play with the flavours and ingredients and make it your own!

Bon Appetit!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s